You may have heard of the book Story Brand by Donald Miller. His basic concept is to engage potential customers by helping them see how you can solve their problem. He wants you to draw them into a story where they, the hero, with your help (the guide), fix the problem and ride off into the sunset. In this 30-minute YouTube workshop, Mr. Miller walks you through what to say when asked, “What do you do?”
One-liner, three parts.
He recommends you one-liner has three parts:
- Identify the customer’s problem that you solve. Choose a pain point.
- Explain your plan to help them.
- Show a successful result.
Mr. Miller recommends being very specific and concise. When you have a good version, try it out on several people, preferably people who don’t know what you do. See if they can tell you what you do after hearing your one-liner.
Story Brand’s one-liner is:
- Most businesses struggle to talk about what they offer.
- We have a process that helps clarify their message
- so their business starts growing again.
Work out your one-liner and send it to me. I’d be happy to give you some feedback. Then use it consistently to educate more people about what you offer.